NQ Higher Sport and Fitness
This course will develop your coaching capabilities and enhance your fitness knowledge through a blend of sport and fitness-related units. It can be an ideal progression route from Sport and Fitness at Level 5 to HNC Coaching or HNC Fitness programmes. You will apply teamwork and leadership skills in a variety of practical situations and develop your own participation and performance skills.
The NQ comprises of practical sessions, lectures and group work delivered by experienced sport and fitness professionals. Successful students receive membership to all North Lanarkshire Leisure Centres.
One of the following:
- 3 qualifications at SCQF Level 5 (eg National 5/Intermediate 2/Standard Grades at Credit level)
- a group of relevant units at SCQF Level 5.
- NQ Sport and Fitness at Level 5.
Higher Physical Education and Communication at Level 5 would be advantageous.
Basic knowledge of training within a gym/fitness environment and/or practical experience of coaching is desirable.
Applications may be considered from those without formal entry requirements but who can demonstrate a keen interest in fitness or sport and/or have other relevant prior learning, life or work experience.
This course contains practical elements therefore a good level of fitness is required.
- Please note: This course is subject to a Protection of Vulnerable Groups (PVG) check.
- Due to the high number of applications received, not all applicants who meet the minimum requirements can be selected for interview. Therefore, a well-written personal statement will be supportive in this process.
- All applicants must submit a personal statement and include all qualification details within their application.
The programme includes study of Human Physiology, Nutrition, Health and Wellbeing, a National Progression Award in Exercise and Fitness Leadership at level 6, work experience and units to develop your coaching practice.
You will be assessed on an ongoing basis using practical assessments, assignments and case studies. There is no final examination.