The recruitment and selection of Modern Apprentices is primarily the responsibility of the employer. However, the following guidance is given:
- Employees may enter a Modern Apprenticeship from the age of 16. There is no upper age limit.
- The Modern Apprenticeship is designed to attract high quality people to the industry. Achievement of academic qualifications is one way of assessing the suitability of applicants. However, it should be stressed that no persons should be deterred from applying for a Modern Apprenticeship because of a lack of formal educational qualifications.
- App apprentices before recruitment should be able to demonstrate a basic level of maths and English at National Level 5 or equivalent.
- Employers are advised to use the college pre-entry test during the recruitment process.
The following factors may also influence the selection process:
- Performance during a formal interview process
- Relevant work experience
- Trial observation period
- Vocational qualifications