Access to Social Services
If you are interested in employment within the care sector and would like to progress onto HNC Social Services but have no formal qualifications then this is the course for you. We would welcome anyone with life experience and who has cared for individuals/service users/clients in a formal setting such as work or volunteering or in an informal capacity such as caring for family members or children.
All subjects will be taught and assessed throughout the year with no end-of-course examinations.
No formal qualifications are required but you must submit a personal statement of no more than 500 words demonstrating a genuine interest in social services and include the following:
- Describe a time when you helped someone in need
- What skills do you think care workers require?
- What made you apply for this course?
- What makes you the right person for this course?
You will be in college three days per week. The college day starts at 9am and finishes at 4pm.
Please note: Your place on the course will be subject to a satisfactory Enhanced Disclosure Scotland check in the form of an enhanced PVG.
On this course you will study:
- Human Development and Behaviour,
- Social Influences
- Values and Principles
- Mental Health
- You will also study core skills such as Communications and Numeracy.
In semester 2 you will be on a practice placement within the care sector.