HNC Social Services
Are you interested in a career in social care, social work or mental health or learning disability nursing? Our HNC Social Services course could be perfect for you! This course can help you gain employment in a number of fields including Residential Childcare, Older Adult Care or working with Adults and Children with disabilities.
The course is a combination of taught units and workplace experience, and as such it is very much “hands-on”. Full time students will be on campus for two days per week and on practice placement for two days per week.
Entry Requirements below are desirable, all applications will be screened on an individual basis including individuals with no formal qualifications
- NQ Health and Social Care level 6 or equivalent
- 2 Highers at least one of which should be English.
- SCQF Level 6 Foundation Apprenticeship in Social Services and Healthcare.
- Mature students may be considered with no formal qualifications.
- Experience of working in care
You must submit two references and completion of a Criminal Conviction Declaration is essential. Your place on the course will be subject to a satisfactory Enhanced Disclosure Scotland check in the form of an enhanced PVG.
Information for Day Release applications:
If you are applying for the Day Release course, you must currently be working in a social services setting for a minimum of 16-hours per week. You will be required on campus one day per week.
The course includes three mandatory units of the SVQ Social Services and Healthcare (SCQF Level 7).
Other units delivered include:
- Care in Contemporary Society
- Health, Wellbeing and Safeguarding
- Lifespan Development: Theoretical Approaches
- Leadership Starts with Me
- Also includes the Graded Unit.
You will be given the opportunity of two days per week in practice placement, agreed by the academic team. Your placement will be an opportunity to expand your practical experience, develop your knowledge and practical skills allowing you to apply theory to practice.