HNC Bioscience (Applied Animal Science)
The HNC Bioscience will help develop your fundamental knowledge and understanding of cell biology, microbiology, biochemistry, plant physiology, livestock physiology and environmental issues. You will develop a range of scientific and practical laboratory skills, all of which will prepare you for employment at a junior technical level within the bioscience industries or set you up for progression to degree level studies.
- Successful completion of either the NQ Level 6 Applied Science or NQ Level 6 Animal Biology and Conservation programmes along with a progression reference.
- Minimum of two Higher qualification passes, grade C or above, one of which must be from Higher Biology or Human Biology, plus English and Mathematics at SCQF Level 5 (equivalent).
- Applicants that hold the FA in Scientific Technologies (SCQF level 6) with one other minimum C grade pass in Higher Biology or Human Biology.
- Students with relevant work/life experience in a laboratory setting will also be considered.
- A full and detailed personal statement must be completed when applying.
- You may be asked to provide a successful reference.
- Participation at an information session and interview forms part of the selection criteria
Taught units include;
- Cell Biology,
- Quality and Health and Safety Systems in Science Industries,
- Environmental Awareness,
- Bioscience Graded Unit 1,
- Plant Growth and Development,
- Chemistry and Physics Life Sciences,
- Livestock Growth: Health and Welfare,
- Livestock Breeding,
- Livestock Physiology,
- Plant Physiology and
- Personal Development Planning.