SWAP Access to Nursing
This course provides an opportunity for students who are returning to education to gain the university entrance qualifications required for Nursing. Individuals with no formal qualifications or who have been out education for at least 3 years are invited to apply. This course is fast paced and includes units that are relevant in the study of health care and nursing. All subjects will be taught and assessed throughout the year with no end-of-course examinations.
There are no formal entry requirements.
- Candidates should have little or no qualifications and be out of formal education 3 - 5 years.
- Candidates must be able to demonstrate sufficient life experience to support their SWAP Access to Nursing application with the aim to further their studies to degree level.
- Participation at an information session, skills assessment and interview forms part of the selection criteria.
- Your place on the course will be subject to a satisfactory Enhanced Disclosure Scotland check in the form of an enhanced PVG.
Please note: this is not an entry criteria for Midwifery
Students will be in college four days per week.
The college day start at 9am and finishes at 4pm.
On this course you will study the care core units of:
- Values and Principles
- Social Influences
- Human Development
Some other topics include
- Human Body
- Human Physiological Processes
- First Aid
- Stress and Stress Management
You will also study core skills of Communications and Numeracy.
A key element of the program is the Personal Development Portfolio where skills and qualities are developed to support transition to progression.