Health & Social Care: Theory and Practice
The aim of this innovative course is to provide a solid grounding on health and social care via the teaching of theories and the experience of practical placement. The course is set at level 6 to enable the progression to either employment or further study. The course will act as a catalyst for starting your career within the health and social care sector.
The course develops your knowledge and skills on a variety of health and social care subjects, including The Human Body, Understanding People with Dementia, Social Influences, Human Development and Understanding Mental Health. During the course you will also go on placement where you will work towards one SVQ unit at level 2 (SCQF Level 6). This will help you gain employment when entering the care sector.
The course is suitable for everyone with a genuine interest in working towards a career in health and social care.
In particular students who have studied level 5 Health and Social Care and for those individuals who have experience working within the care sector or experience in caring for others.
Whilst it is beneficial to have qualifications including National 5's and Standard Grades we will look at each application individually and will also make decisions based on your personal statement.
On submitting your application please write a personal statement of around 400 words answering the following questions.
- Describe one career within either the Health Care sector or Social Care Sector.
- Identify one skill and one quality needed to work in health and/or social care
- Offer a brief discussion on what made you interested in the health and social care sector including any work or personal experience in caring for another person or child.
- Explain why you want to study at New College Lanarkshire and why you should be accepted on the course.
Please note: Due to the placement element on this course you will be required to complete a Criminal Conviction Declaration form and in addition will be required to completed a Protection of Vulnerable Groups (PVG)
The course has an abundance of units spanning health and social care including:
- Values and Principles
- Understanding Mental Health and Mental Illness
- Social Influences
- Human Development and Behaviour
- Caring for People with Dementia
- Understanding and Supporting People in Health and Social Care Settings
- Health Safety and Protection
- Social Services in Scotland
Also within the course you will learn numeracy and communication both important for working within health and social care and for those of you with ambition to progress onto university.
You will also go out onto Practice Placement and complete an SVQ unit on Developing your Own Knowledge and Practice.