HND Social Sciences - Year 1
This course is a two year programme for those who are interested in social issues and who want to develop their knowledge in Social Science subjects or progress to a Social Science degree.
- A minimum of 1 Higher grade at C or above. English and/or Social Science subjects preferred.
- or SWAP Access to Social Sciences (dependent on grades)
- or NQ in Social Sciences Level 6 or other relevant NQ grouping at SCQF Level 5/6 or equivalent along with good academic references.
- Each applicant is considered on an individual basis and previous work experience and prior learning will be taken into consideration.
- Due to the high number of applications received, not all applicants who meet the minimum requirements can be selected for interview. Therefore, a well-written personal statement will be supportive in this process.
- Applicants who do not have the preferred subjects may be placed on a reserve list.
In Year 1 you will study exactly the same topics as the HNC Social Sciences programme:
- Research and Methodology (looking at the ways Social Science studies human behaviour)
- Sociology (the study of people in society)
- Psychology (the study of the mind and behaviour)
- History (the study of the known pasts)
- Politics (the study of authority and government)
- Geography (the study of inequality)
There is also a graded unit exam in the spring.
In Year 2 you will continue with Psychology, Sociology, Politics and History and you will also study Research Issues and Criminology.
There are two Graded Units in Year 2 - an exam and a project.