The Lanarkshire Business Hub’s first event of 2018 saw over 60 delegates in attendance from the public sector, training, recruitment, media, energy and finance sectors.
Hosted by the Macdonald Crutherland House Hotel in East Kilbride, a networking breakfast was followed by a presentation from Douglas McLachlan, Partner at Anderson Strathern.
Douglas updated Hub members on the changes to data protection, as the EU General Data Protection Regulation is coming into force from May 2018.
All data controllers and data processers will have to comply with the new regulations and failure to do so could result in significant financial penalties.
A new EU ePrivacy Regulation is also due to come into effect on that date, replacing the Privacy and Electronic Communications Regulations. Douglas covered topics including:
- The GDPR principles and conditions for lawful processing
- Changes to consent requirements and legitimate interest provisions
- GDPR & Employment
- Data transfers and new duties for data processors
- New rights for individuals including the right to erasure and data portability
- Marketing & the new ePrivacy Regulation
- What you need to do before 25 May 2018
Lanarkshire Business Hub offers local businesses a free forum to come together to meet and share their business knowledge and experiences through networking and business presentations.
The next event will take place on 28 February.