Construction - Pre Apprentice (Basic Kitchen & Bathroom Fitting)
This Basic Kitchen & Bathroom fitment course offers industry qualifications in the construction industry. The course is designed to give the fundamentals of kitchen and bathroom fitment for students to build confidence in and use in industry.
This course is split into two parts, student will study for a City & Guilds Certificate in one trade area in part one, and upon successful completion will progress onto a City & Guilds Certificate in another trade area in part two. Beyond the City & Guilds qualification, students will learn how to fit a variety of kitchen units, worktops, bathroom sanitary items and the accompanying fittings ready for connection to properties.
This course provides a full academic year immersed in the Construction Industry not only covering the subject content but also learning the vital skills needed to gain and subsequently sustain full time employment.
National 4 qualifications in Construction or similar technical discipline would be a considerable advantage to prospective students. General experience of mature students considered. Applicants must be 16 years old by the end of September 2024 to commence this course.
Candidate’s specific course suitability will be decided through a thorough interview process, preference will be given to those who can display a genuine desire to work in the construction industry. Students who hold no National 4 qualifications could consider the Access to industry course to prepare themselves for this course
On this course, you will learn:
- Basic Kitchen fitting
- Basic Bathroom fitting
- Introduction to health and safety in construction
- Introduction to the construction industry
- Tiling a plain wall
- Cutting and fixing decorative panels
- Cutting and fixing tiles to wet areas
- Tiling floors with a border
- Removing and refitting water-filled radiators
- Working with non-manipulative fittings
- Bending and jointing copper pipe
- Connecting pipes and fittings to appliances
- Constructing combined frames
Qualifications, Certificates and Experiences
- Level 1 Certificate in Construction Skills (Plumbing)
- Level 1 Certificate in Construction Skills (Wall and Floor Tiling)
- IOSH Safety health and environment in construction
- Tested – Construction Skills Certification Scheme (CSCS)
The course is predominantly practical based in workshop and project areas & includes approximately one half day of classroom work each week. Students will be expected to engage with and complete mandatory theory elements.
Engagement with employers through extended work placements may be available for students who excel in their studies and attitudes, they must show a genuine desire to enter the industry to be considered.