Construction Pre-apprentice (Joinery & Painting)
This course is designed to provide students with a range of skills, industry-recognised qualifications and certificates that will assist them in the pursuit of a construction-related apprenticeship. This course would be a suitable starting point for prospective students who were thinking of employment in Joinery or Panting industries.
This course is split into two parts, student will study for a City & Guilds Certificate in one trade area in part one, and upon successful completion will progress onto a City & Guilds Certificate in another trade area in part two. The course focuses on joinery and decorating trades which have been selected to give an insight to the construction industry along with the specific qualifications required to work on site.
Students undertaking this course will be able to identify which skills they already have and which they would like to enhance and pursue into the future either directly into the workplace or further levels of study. As a student you will focus your studies on one of the trade areas at a time through the year, studying for a City and Guilds qualification in each of them.
National 4 qualifications in Construction or similar technical discipline would be a considerable advantage to prospective students.
General experience of mature students considered.
Applicants must be 16 years old by the end of September 2024 to commence this course.
Candidate’s specific course suitability may be decided through a thorough interview process, preference will be given to those who can display a genuine desire to work in the construction industry.
Students who hold no National 4 qualifications at all could consider the Access to industry course to prepare themselves for this course
While not a specific list the trade areas below may be encountered dependant on projects identified through the year.
- Introduction to health and safety in construction
- Introduction to the construction industry
- Painting techniques
- Painting and wallpapering
- Applying decorative effects
- Applying wallpaper to internal and external angles and painting skirting
- Constructing halving joints
- Constructing bridle joints
- Constructing stub mortice and tenon joints
- Constructing haunched mortice and tenon joints
- Constructing through mortice and tenon joints
Qualifications, Certificates and Experiences
- Level 1 Certificate in Construction Skills (Carpentry & Joinery)
- Level 1 Certificate in Construction Skills (Painting & Decorating)
- IOSH Safety Health and Environment in Construction
- Tested – Construction Skills Certification Scheme (CSCS)
The course is predominantly practical based in workshop and project areas & includes approximately one half day of classroom work each week. Students will be expected to engage with and complete mandatory theory elements.
Engagement with employers through extended work placements may be available for students who excel in their studies and attitudes, they must show a genuine desire to enter the industry to be considered.