HNC Childhood Practice
If you enjoy working with children and would like to make a difference to their early years the HNC in Childhood Practice is the course for you. This course will give you a deep understanding of working with children and young people, and will help you to integrate knowledge and theory into practice in line with Health & Social Care Standards and Scottish Social Services Council (SSSC) Codes of Practice.
You must have Two Highers, one of which should be English at level C or above or have successfully completed of one of the following courses:
- NC Early Education and Childcare
- PDA Education Support Assistant
- SCQF Level 6 Foundation Apprenticeship in Social Services (Children and Young People) along with Higher English at a C.
Some experience working with children in a paid or voluntary capacity is beneficial.
Please note to be eligible for this course you must be 17 by 31st October 2024 due to health and safety legislation.
Please note participation at an information session, skills assessment and interview forms part of the selection criteria.
Your place on the course will be subject to a satisfactory PVG application.
What you will study:
- Lifespan development theoretical approaches
- Support for Play, Learning & Development
- Supporting Children & Young People with Additional Support Needs
- Care in Contemporary Society
- Health, well-being and safeguarding.
You will participate in a minimum requirement of 60 days of practical experience where you will also undertake 3 SVQ (Vocational Qualification) units. Successful completion will make you eligible for registration with the Scottish Social Services Council (SSSC).
Various assessment methods used to meet the needs of the students, SQA requirements and college quality procedures