Construction - Bricklaying
This course is designed to provide focused skills in Bricklaying with industry-recognised qualifications and certificates that will assist in the pursuit of a Construction Apprenticeship or another similar, life long meaningful career.
This is a highly sought-after course and is seen as a progression from the Pre-apprentice suite of courses at level 1. Direct applications are welcome but are subject to the below criteria. National 5 qualifications in Construction or similar technical discipline would be a considerable advantage to prospective students.
General experience of mature students is also considered.
Applicants must be 16 years old by the end of September 2024 to commence this course. Candidate’s specific course suitability will be decided through a thorough interview process, preference will be given to those who can display a genuine desire to work in the construction industry.
Students who hold no National 5 qualifications could consider the Pre-apprentice suite to prepare themselves for this course.
- Construction Pre-Apprentice (Bricklaying, Joinery, Painting & Decorating)
- Construction Pre-apprentice (Joinery and Painting & Decorating)
- Construction Pre-Apprentice (Basic Kitchen and Bathroom Fitting)
While progression from level 1 to level 2 is not guaranteed, the following criteria will be considered:
- Preference will be given to those who show a genuine desire to work in the construction industry
- Engagement and Aptitude from level 1 course
- General experience of mature students considered
- National 5 or higher in a Craft or Design subject
- Candidate’s specific course suitability will be decided at interview
- Applicants must be 16 years by the end of September 2024 to commence this course
Current Students are advised to consult their lecturer at the time of application to discuss.
Principle trade area covered:
- Bricklaying cavity and one brick walling including all relevant components and working practices including setting out.
Qualifications, Certificates and Experiences
- City and Guilds Diploma Level 2 – Bricklaying
- The course is mostly practical based - workshop and project areas.
- Students will be expected to engage with and complete mandatory theory elements.
- Students may be expected to engage with blended learning off campus.
Engagement with employers through visits and work placements may be available for students who excel and show a genuine desire to enter the industry.