Access to Creative Industries - NRFG
Access to the Creative Industries is a great opportunity for anyone wishing to take their first steps towards professional training in music, sound production and digital media. Run in partnership with New Rhythms for Glasgow (NRFG), this fully accredited, entry-level college course is designed to introduce students to the exciting world of music production, creation, sound engineering, and performance. Aimed at individuals who may not typically engage in formal education, this part-time course offers a supportive and accessible learning environment where you can explore your passion for music and develop valuable skills.
The course is planned to run two days per week at the following times: -
Mondays: 1.30pm - 4.30pm
Wednesdays: 5pm - 8pm*
*This may be subject to change
The course will be delivered at NRFG, which is based in the new Sighthill development area of Glasgow and students enrolled may participate in projects giving access to our recording studios at Cumbernauld Campus.
Applicants must demonstrate an interest in working in the music and sound production industry as part of their application and participate in an informal interview. No previous qualifications are required to enrol in this course. However, a genuine interest in music production, creativity, and a willingness to learn are essential.
Previous experience of using computing software is desirable but not essential.
Key Course Elements:
Over the course of 18 weeks, you will immerse yourself in the fundamentals of music production, learning how to create, record, mix, and master your own tracks. Whether you aspire to be a music producer, sound engineer, songwriter, or performer, this course provides a solid foundation to jumpstart your journey in the music industry. You will learn various techniques including:
- Music Production Basics: You will gain a comprehensive understanding of music production techniques, including digital audio workstations (DAWs), MIDI sequencing, audio recording, editing, and arranging.
- Music Creation and Composition: Learn the art of composing music, exploring melody, harmony, rhythm, and song structure. Discover various genres, styles, and techniques to develop your unique musical talent.
- Sound Production and Engineering: You will be introduced to the technical aspects of sound production, understanding microphone techniques, signal processing, mixing and mastering. In addition to this, you will utilise sector-leading recording studios and equipment to refine your skills.
- Music Performance: Develop confidence and stage presence as you explore music performance. Discover effective rehearsal techniques, live sound engineering, and the dynamics of performing in front of an audience.
- Access to State-of-the-Art Facilities: Benefit from hands-on experience in our industry-standard recording studios, equipped with cutting-edge technology and software used in professional music production.
- Practical Learning Approach: Embrace in practical, project-based learning approaches that allows you to apply the concepts and techniques learned in class to create your own music and recordings.
- One-to-one Support: Receive guidance and feedback from experienced instructors who are passionate about helping you succeed. The small class size will ensure personalised attention and support throughout the course.
- Networking Opportunities: Connect with like-minded individuals who share your passion for music production and performance. Collaborate, exchange ideas, and build valuable relationships within the vibrant music community.
- Fully Accredited Qualification: Upon successful completion of the course, you will receive a recognised qualification, demonstrating your newly acquired skills and knowledge in music production and performance.