HNC Applied Science (Biological Science)
This course provides practical skills and theoretical knowledge that meet the needs of employers in a modern science industry; it prepares you for employment at technician or professional level in research and industrial laboratories, including NHS laboratories. Many students/prospective students use the HNC in Applied Sciences as a qualification for entry into university degree programmes.
This course specifically focuses on the Biological aspects that can be delivered as part of the HNC award. You will be taught a full 15 credit HNC at New College Lanarkshire allowing wider progression opportunities (see below).
The course is internally assessed using a variety of assessment methods including end-of-unit assessments, practical experiments, essays, oral presentations and laboratory reports.
YOUR NEW engaging CAREER
- Successful completion of either the NQ Level 6 Applied Science or NQ Level 6 Animal Biology and Conservation programmes along with a progressive reference.
- Minimum of two Higher qualification passes, grade C or above in Chemistry and Biology/Human Biology plus minimum B grade passes in National 5 English and Mathematics.
- Applicants that hold the FA in Scientific Technologies (SCQF level 6) with one other minimum C grade pass in higher Biology/Human Biology.
- Students with relevant work/life experience in a laboratory setting will also be considered.
- A full and detailed personal statement must be completed when applying.
- A reference document shall be sent to you for this purpose once your application is processed.
- Participation at an information session and interview forms part of the selection criteria
Units* will consist of:
- Applied Biochemical Techniques
- Fundamental Chemistry: Theory and Laboratory Skills
- Laboratory Skills for Science Industries
- Applied Science: Graded Unit 1
- Cell Biology: Theory and Laboratory Skills
- Biochemistry: Theory and Laboratory Skills
- DNA and Genetics: Theory and Laboratory Skills
- Human Body: Structure and Function
- Mathematics for Science 1
- Statistics for Science 1
- Personal and Development Planning
- Scientific Industries
* units are subject to annual review