HNC Computer Aided Architectural Design and Technology
Do you enjoy using CAD programmes? Are you a school leaver who enjoyed Graphical Communications or other design units? Are you interested in how buildings are constructed? This course offers a unique approach to architectural studies – focusing on the use of CAD and other digital technologies in construction with an emphasis on the role of the Architectural Technologist (AT). Our second year students are highly sought after by our industry contacts, with 83% of last year’s students obtaining employment as an AT as a direct result of studying this course, with the remainder progressing to 3rd year at university to complete their degree. The top students from each year have a guaranteed paid internship with a leading Architectural practice over the summer months.
Successful completion of any of the following NC/NQ courses:
- NC Computer Aided Design and Technology
- NC Construction
- NC Fabrication and Welding
- NC Manufacturing
- One Higher or equivalent or relevant Intermediate 2/National 4 or 5 courses and/or other modules/units.
- Applicants who have successfully achieved an appropriate FA in Engineering with related NC qualification will be suitable for entry on successful completion.
New College Lanarkshire will also review applicants with relevant work experience/prior learning.
All applicants who meet the required entry requirements will also be asked to attend an interview.
Year 1 projects centre around the design and construction of residential projects, with the end of year project and showcase giving you the opportunity to design for a client and present your project along with your peers. Our lecturers are expert Architectural Technologists with experience in design, commercial, residential and modular construction. The course has been carefully formulated to give successful candidates the key skills needed for a career in the industry, including 2D draughting and construction detailing, 3D modelling, BIM, digital collaboration knowledge, material and construction technology, sustainability and visualisation.
Specialising in the use of various CAD packages, the knowledge and skills you will develop will focus on:
- Autodesk Revit
- Residential design
- Autodesk AutoCAD
- Architectural principles
- Construction detailing
- 3D modeling
- Architectural design for aesthetics and functional criteria
- Model making / 3D rapid prototyping
- Statutory compliance and administration
- Visualisation and rendering
- Building services
- Use of Microsoft Office suite in the role of the AT
- End of year residential project
Opportunities are also available to work on real-life projects and take on industry-led qualifications such as Autodesk Certified User exams.